Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hey honey, you could be my drug...

Before I even start in on the awesomeness that was the night I went to see Walk The Moon and Neon Trees at my favorite venue with the coolest guy I've met in a long time, I just think you should all know what major points you earn in my book for taking me to a concert, any concert (I can only think of one band I wouldn't even go see for free, to avoid ruffling some feathers I won't mention them here but they are ABSOLUTELY NOT hip to my heart, and I DO NOT want to be the only girl they love all their lives- can anyone guess who?) 

I'm making the decision right now to spare you all the details of me gushing over this nearly perfect night and focus just on the concert, but I'm smiling to myself as I type because I had such a great time.  A few weeks back, after I had called out of work for accidentally being way too hungover to handle my life the next day, I went for an evening stroll on the beach (God, I love living here) with my mom.  We walked by Freebird Live because I wanted to check out who was playing.  Sidenote:  One time, before I lived here, my mom was down in Jax beach and snapped a picture of the marquee at Freebird just because she missed me, 3 days later I drove down for less than 24 hours to see The Maine with my lovely cousin, complete with a raging spider bite on my leg that rendered me useless for the next 3 days.  I digress, but that is the reason I insisted on walking by, I'm normally on top of my concert dates, but not always.  So, back to the story.  Upon seeing the sign I said to my mom "OH!  Neon Trees is playing?!  I should go to that!"  As always, she laughed and started to recount the day I made her drive me to Freebird to stalk Craig Owens, D.R.U.G.S, and Sparks the Rescue because I couldn't afford to go the show (I'm a crazy fangirl for Craig Owens).  Needless to say I was stoked when someone with an extra ticket asked me to go, and I began cramming like one might for a huge final exam to try and learn as many songs as I possibly could in 3 days.  I failed, but I had a great time anyway. 

Every time I go to a show, girls always want to fight me because I insist on pushing through the crowd to get a good spot close up, in the middle, where I can see everything.  At Freebird, this is less of a problem, because it's a pretty small venue and assuming you don't get stuck standing behind one of the tall brick pillars (which I obviously do not allow to happen) its easy to see.  This particular show, we found ourselves surrounded with a super nice group of people with paint on their faces that I chatted with in between bands (that is, when they weren't all making out with eachother).  So many people were rocking the face paint thing, that I was forced to ask one of them about it (I told you, my studying didn't quite pay off).  If I had waited 5 more minutes, I would have seen that all the members of Walk The Moon had their faces painted too in homage to their Anna Sun music video.  I can only confidently say I knew 3 songs that they played, but I appreciate live music at it's finest, they were awesome and now their songs constantly fill the walls of my house (fun fact: Tightrope, my favorite song, is also on an HP commercial).

I've seen a ton of bands play, Tyler Glenn of Neon Trees is one of kind.  He ran on stage with his platinum blonde hair, shades, and a polka dotted shirt that reminded me of something my gorgeous and classy best friend might wear, if I ever saw her wear polka dots (I was glad when swapped it for a classic white v-neck and leather jacket because frankly it was distracting me).  Overall, their set was upbeat and energetic, had a super fun vibe complete with lots of neon purple lighting, they closed out the show with my favorite song Everybody Talks and I was jamming hard. 

Awesome beer, awesome tunes, awesome company!  Check out some pics and vids....

Walk The Moon- Tightrope

Walk The Moon- Anna Sun

Walk The Moon- Quesadilla

Tyler Glenn- Neon Trees









No comments:

Post a Comment