Saturday, July 11, 2015

If you left it up to me...

Well, here I am again, once again in my favorite corner of my mom's big comfy blue couch typing on HER laptop while I wait for my sister to arrive and our hella girly sleepover to commence, I'm talking manis, pedis, facials, hair cuts, and probably a serious Netflix binge of shows involving David Tutera.  In case you all are keeping track, my 27th birthday just passed and I've somehow reached the point in my life where all I really wanted was to relax with my family and maybe a little extra money to pay my credit card bill.  I've been adulting so hard lately that it is STRESSING ME THE FUCK OUT.  I actually called my dad this week to discuss the prospect of purchasing a home, but there is something about being in my moms house with my sister that makes me feel not-so-adult again.  I swear if someone asked me right now what my favorite childhood memory was I'd be quick to answer "not paying bills" Can I get an AMEN?

My handsome bald boyfriend and I have a few go to movies we like to watch when there is nothing good on TV, basically always, which is why we are saying a swift ADIOS to Comcast this month.

Top 3:
1. I Love You, Man
2. Date Night
3. The Wolf of Wall Street

Go ahead and take a second to judge me and my relationship.

Okay let me get to my point, in 'Date Night' Kristen Wiig and her husband are splitting up because she is "drowning in a river of sameness."  I always laughed at that before, but now, although I wouldn't say I'm drowning in said river, I am about chest deep. My life is getting super routine and I'm in search of a little reprieve.

I know you're wondering where the title of this post comes in....just wait, it's a good one (and if you're my brother you know the answer....even though you never responded to my text about it, tsk tsk).

"If you left if up to me
Every day would be a holiday from real
We'd waste our weeks beneath the sun
We'd fry our brains and say it's so much fun out here"

10 points if you can name the song and album before scrolling.

Lately Pandora has been giving me nothing but shit music that I forcefully thumbs down, but Thursday night when I was driving home from the gym it gave me this gem: Holiday From Real by Jack's Mannequin.

Sidebar: The realization that Everything in Transit is 10 years old is one I can't swallow at the moment.

Have you ever heard anything in your life that sounds more like me than that does?!  I mean, these days I waste my weeks beneath the sun while wearing AT LEAST 25 SPF and choose to fry my brains without the heavy use of controlled substances (for the most part).  But that's exactly what I'm looking for, a holiday from real (especially since I'm still deep in the midst of a 2 month post vacation depression and my savings account is shutting down any and all hopes of a spontaneous weekend getaway with previously mentioned handsome bald boyfriend.)

Don't get me wrong here, my life is great.  I share a cutesy beach apartment with my loving boyfriend of 3 years (my Dad told me it had a "rich feel" to it, so there's that), I'd have to be forcibly removed my job because I love it so much, and all of my bills are getting paid (maybe not always on time but certainly within the grace period.)  But there are still things I will never be a grown up about:

My cell phone: despite growing up in this age of technology, I just don't give a shit about it.  I never remember to charge it until it's gives me that sad little 4% battery beep, which is EVERY SINGLE day of my life; and lets be real, that's assuming I have a working phone, which just isn't a consistency in my life.

My gas tank: it's NEVER full, I put just the right amount of gas in it to get my through to my next payday.  I know it makes more sense to fill it all the way up...but I just don't care that much.

My entertainment choices:  I really feel like I'm a smart, functioning member of society but apparently not smart enough to understand and/or enjoy award winning, important, influential movies.  I'm always going to pick the stupid comedy, the Disney princess movie, or I'm just gonna watch every episode of The Office on Netflix.  I'm still gonna re-read all the Harry Potter books, go see the last Hunger Games movie, and see Taylor Swift in concert...and I really don't care what anyone has to say about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment